Maintaining your eye health and clear vision is an important part of driving safely, functioning at school, at work and at home. At University Eye Associates, we help our patients in Charlotte, Harrisburg (Rocky River) and Davidson maintain their eye health and clear vision. Our comprehensive eye health exams are designed to monitor both refractive error and to look for potential eye conditions and disease.
Benefits of Eye Exams with Our Optometrists
There are many reasons to get eye exams with our optometrists at University Eye Associates!
- Safety. Many day to day tasks like operation of vehicles and navigation while driving cannot be done safely without clear vision. Getting your eyes checked regularly will help ensure that you have the proper vision to function in daily life.
- Functioning at work and school. Children who can’t see clearly at school may struggle to complete assignments and learn, while adults who can’t see clearly may make many mistakes in their workplace. Getting regular eye exams will help you avoid this problem by ensuring that you get the glasses you need when you need them.
- Eye exams can catch diseases early. There are many eye diseases that can cause deterioration of vision and even blindness. Our optometrists will check for these diseases at your eye exam, which will help identify these problems in their early and most treatable stages.
What to Expect During Your Eye Exam in Charlotte, Harrisburg (Rocky River) and Davidson NC
Our comprehensive eye exams at our locations in Charlotte, Harrisburg (Rocky River) and Davidson NC, include:
- Glaucoma. During this test, a special instrument is used to blow a puff of air on the eye. This puff of air is painless and helps the eye doctor determine the patient's level of risk for glaucoma.
- Tracking. Eye doctors test the way that the eyes follow the path of a moving object.
- Pupil dilation. The pupil dilation test allows the eye doctor to look inside the eye and check for signs of diseases.
- Optomap. The Optomap ultra-widefield retinal image captures more than 80% of your retina in one panoramic image. This unique view helps our eye care practitioners detect early signs of retinal disease more effectively and efficiently than with traditional eye exams. Your doctor will view the images with you and discuss your results.
- Refraction. Our optometrists test the eyes for refractive error and if refractive error is detected, they prescribe eye glasses to correct the problem.
The Optomap is an optional screening during routine eye examinations, most insurance companies do not cover this service. The Optomap Plus imaging is often used as a diagnostic tool for evaluating changes and monitoring progress of medical conditions over time. The Optomap Plus is covered by some medical plans.
In most cases, dilation may not be necessary with Optomap imaging. Your doctor will decide whether your pupils need to be dilated based on your individual eye conditions.
Reasons You Should Have an Eye Exam
There are many reasons to get an eye exam. You should get an eye exam if you’re experiencing any one of the following:
Sensitivity to light
Even if you’re not having difficulty with your eyes, you should still have an eye exam once a year. Annual eye exams are important for everyone, even for people who don’t wear glasses.
Contact the Optometry Experts in Charlotte, Harrisburg (Rocky River) and Davidson NC
At University Eye Associates in Charlotte, Harrisburg (Rocky River) and Davidson NC, we help people of the community keep their eyes healthy and get glasses to meet their needs. For eye exams in Charlotte ((704) 547-1551), Harrisburg (704-536-6042) or Davidson (704-896-9090), give us a call or request an appointment today!